[Ledger-smb-users] 1.5.3 install
R. Ransbottom
2017-03-13 20:25:28 UTC

I have been distracted, but things are settling down somewhat so
I'm starting 1.5.3.

Why are the "in-depth installation instructions" not part of the
distribution?

Thanks again,
Rob
Erik Huelsmann
2017-03-13 22:30:37 UTC
Hi Rob,
Post by R. Ransbottom
Hi,
I have been distracted, but things are settling down somewhat so
I'm starting 1.5.3.
Just a few hours ago, we released 1.5.4. Can I suggest you use that? The
changelog is sizeable:

- Updated Dojo from 1.10.6 to 1.10.7 (Erik H)
- Add missing defaults in ledgersmb.conf 'database' section (David G,
#2632 <https://github.com/ledgersmb/LedgerSMB/issues/2632>)
- Add 2 missing RHEL dependencies to Makefile (David G)
- Add conf/README.md describing the content of conf/ (David G)
- Fixed bug in template processing only seen on CentOS (Chris T)
- Transaction forgets payment account on Update (Nick P, #2580
<https://github.com/ledgersmb/LedgerSMB/issues/2580>)
- Updates to sample config and Makefile (Bill O)
- Improved table reading experience for dynatable based reports (Erik H)
- Fix file attachments shown twice after migration from 1.3 (Erik H,
#2659 <https://github.com/ledgersmb/LedgerSMB/issues/2659>)
- Fix two issues in the 1.3->1.5 migration script (Erik H)

Why are the "in-depth installation instructions" not part of the
Post by R. Ransbottom
distribution?
That's a deliberate choice: we can update the docs on our site, even after
the release has sailed, but we can't update any instructions in the release
tarbal: the sha2 sums have been sent out and included in the release
e-mail. We can't replace the package after that.

Let us know what you're finding with 1.5.3/1.5.4.

Regards,
--
Bye,

Erik.

http://efficito.com -- Hosted accounting and ERP.
Robust and Flexible. No vendor lock-in.
R. Ransbottom
2017-03-14 20:22:55 UTC
I have been distracted, but things are settling down somewhat so I'm starting 1.5.3.
Just ... released 1.5.4. Can I suggest you use that? The
I will do that.
Why are the "in-depth installation instructions" not part of the
distribution?
That's a deliberate choice: we can update the docs on our site, even after
the release has sailed, but we can't update any instructions in the release
It would be better to include them with a "the latest corrected version is
available at http:..." in the the preface. Up-front references to and from
the README.md would also be worthwhile.
Let us know what you're finding with 1.5.3/1.5.4.
Will do.

I can offer some help.

I have no experience with web applications, internationalization, the modern
character sets, nor with large projects. I do have a good grasp of business
practices and accounting particularly with U.S. wholesale and retail trade.
I am fairly competent with postgresql.

My Perl ability could be applied to refactoring some of your code.
A quick look at 1.3.* or 1.4.* found some low hanging fruit: bits of
redundant or unreachable code; runtime code where compile time code should
work; and a lack of basic idioms.

Rob